All gear rented on KitSplit is covered by the renter's insurance which includes damage, loss, and theft from the renter (more details on coverage inclusions and exclusions here). All renters are required to have gear rental coverage. If they do not they must purchase coverage on KitSplit or leave a deposit for the full value of the gear. When a renter uses third party insurance our team verifies it. More details here and here.
Please review the full list of inclusions and exclusions for the coverage offered on KitSplit here.
The KitSplit Owner Guarantee protects all KitSplit gear owners from theft and fraud on all rentals of gear worth up to $20,000 - at no additional cost.
How likely is voluntary parting on KitSplit?
At KitSplit we have gone to great lengths to build a trustworthy community that treats gear and members well. Our vetting system keeps the vast majority of fraudulent people off KitSplit. As a result the risk of voluntary parting is 0.02%.
Here are some of the safety measures we’ve built to protect you and your gear:
- 40-point risk assessment vetting system that all members must pass in order to transact on the platform
- Upload a government issued photo ID and a photo of your face next to the ID. Our team manually checks these IDs, and the system verifies that the information is accurate and the IDs are real.
- Our system uses machine learning as well as human review to track and stop any unusual or suspect behavior on KitSplit.
- Our payment processor verifies that the credit card is valid and matches identification information.
- All of our renters are required to have rental insurance that covers the equipment they are renting. Renters can purchase insurance through KitSplit and our partner Heffins at check-out. If a renter submits third party coverage, our team works with the insurance company to verifiy that it is valid.
- Renters renting high value gear must provide references and additional information, which our team verifies.
- All renters and owners rate and review each other after each rental. KitSplit may remove members who receive low ratings or reviews that indicate suspect or inappropriate behavior.
- You always decide who you rent to, and when. We’ve made it very easy to communicate with a renter if you have specific questions about them or their plans for your equipment. You can message on the KitSplit platform which send an email and a text. All text messaging is done through our system and does not reveal your phone number. So you can chat right from your phone in full privacy. Only rent to renters that you feel comfortable with.
Questions? Concerns? We're here to help. Chat us or email us firstname.lastname@example.org call us at 917.722.6792—we're always happy to hear from you!